Stained Glass Windows

CLICK ON PICTURES TO SEE LARGER VERSION

THE CHURCH MILITANT (1941)

St. Paul’s words to Timothy appear at the top of this window. The Church over the left shoulder of the female figure re-enforces her identity as the Church of Christ, armed with salvation in the Cross and the Word of God. The Chalice to the left of the dedication represents Christ’s sacrifice. The Crown of Righteousness, another recurrent them in Paul’s writings, is depicted on the right. The memory of Ella Ursula Scovil is recorded in this window (1941).

 

ST. JAMES, MARTYR OF FAITH (1918)

St. James is portrayed with the Gospel, which he zealously proclaimed, in one hand, and the sword that was the instrument of his death in 44 AD in the other. He was first of the apostles to be martyred. This is one of the earlier windows in the church. Placed in 1918, it is a good example of painted glass work by Taylor Painting and Decorating of Winnipeg. It remembers Hannah Frances Lucas, a pioneer of the area and the parish.

THE GOOD SHEPHERD (1942)

This window shows Christ as the Good Shepherd, and quotes part of the 23rd Psalm. Made by Hobbs of Toronto, it was installed in 1942 in memory of Samuel Cumberland Sharman and his wife Mary Ann Sharman, early members and benefactors of St. Alban’s.

St. JOHN THE EVANGELIST

This window was placed in memory of Rev. J.B. Martin, A.M.C. who was killed during active service in France June 2nd, 1916. Note the Masonic device to the right of the dedication. It was customary for clergy to be members of the Masonic Lodge in the early twentieth century.

A SOWER WENT FORTH TO SOW

This window, erected in honour of those who have made the labour of mankind a dignified and satisfying endeavour, shows Christ sowing the seed of life. The scripture is from Matthew 13. This window was given by Earl Hutchinson.

I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE

This window depicts Christ with his hand raised in blessing. The Chi and Rho at the left of the dedication are the first letters of Greek for Christ. The open book and candle represent the light the Gospel provides the Christian. This window is in memory of Frederick Wallace and Emily Howard Canniff and their son, Frederick Howard Caniff.

FAITH

The Faith window showing mankind saved by the Cross in the midst of the stormy sea of life, is in memory of Eleanor Toole, whose descendants are still active members of the Cathedral. This window was releaded in 1989.

KING DAVID

Erected in memory of Long-time Cathedral organist, C.H. Carpenter, this window portrays the Bible’s most famous musician with his harp. Over David’s right shoulder is Jerusalem.

THE JOHNSON WINDOW (1980)

The three buildings of St. Alban’s in Kenora (1884,1893, 1917), together with the town crest and recreational activities associated with the Kenora area. This window was placed in 1980 in memory of Lowry and Margaret Johnson, and is the most recent of the Cathedral windows.

THE HIVES WINDOW

Placed in memory of the Rt, Rev H.E. Hives, 4th Bishops of Keewatin (1953 – 1968), this window recognizes both the aircraft and radio ministries initiated by him in the Diocese.

ST. ALBAN’S WINDOW

This window commemorates the first British martyr (d.c 305 AD) and namesake of St. Alban’s. In the placer windows below are Alpha and Omega (Rev. 21:6), a wheat sheaf and grapes symbolizing the bread and wine of the Eucharist. The glass in these windows is no longer made. They were reset in 1975.

CRUCIFIXION WINDOW

The scene of the first Good Friday fills the east wall above the High Altar. Rich in its symbolism, the window depicts the crucifixion as witnessed by the three Marys, John and the Centurion. Harry Hanton, one of the workmen who built the Cathedral in 1917, originally pained the banner above the window. The window was placed in memory of Betsy Lofthouse, wife of the 1st Bishop of Keewatin.

 

 

 

ST. ALBAN’S WINDOW (CLOSEUP)

 

 

 

ST. ALBAN’S WINDOW (ALPHA)

 

 

 

ST. ALBAN’S WINDOW (GRAPES)

 

 

 

ST. ALBAN’S WINDOW (WHEAT SHEAF)

 

 

 

ST. ALBAN’S WINDOW (OMEGA)